Well, I don’t know how I pulled it off, but somehow my cell phone got away from me the other day and plummetted 15 stories. Surprisingly, I managed to put most of it back together. It can still make calls, but the LCD is hooped, so I can’t use the contact list or get text messages or anything. I’m pretty amazed actually that it managed to survive at all. I calculated a few properties of the fall:
- height fallen: 40 meters
- speed at impact (assuming no air resistance): 28 m/s (101 km/h)
- total time taken to fall: 2.8 seconds
- g-force sustained during impact: 285 G’s
I was thinking about having some fun when I drop it off at the Bell Mobility store to be fixed. Here are some of the lines I’m preparing to say without smiling:
- Yeah, it just stopped working
- I’m not sure why the left side of the phone is cracked open
- Yes, the LCD was always like that
- What do you mean dropping the phone out of a 15 story window isn’t covered under warranty?
Wish me luck.